
ATTACK ON EBOLA TREATMENT CENTER IN DR CONGO AS PROTESTERS DEMAND BODIES OF DECEASED RELATIVES
BUNIA, Ituri province – Angry protesters attacked and set fire to tents at an Ebola treatment center in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on Saturday, following a dispute over the bodies of relatives who died from the disease.
The violence erupted at Rwampara Hospital near Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, after a crowd attempted to force their way into the facility. Local officials said police responded by firing teargas and warning shots to disperse the demonstrators.
According to family members at the scene, relatives disputed that their loved ones had died of Ebola and demanded the right to bury the bodies themselves according to local customs.
The attack highlights persistent mistrust of health workers in the conflict-affected region, officials said. “We need stronger public awareness campaigns,” one local official told reporters, noting that community skepticism remains a major challenge for outbreak response efforts.
The current Ebola outbreak was declared on May 15. Health authorities and the World Health Organization have reported approximately 600 suspected cases and 139 probable deaths in the area.
No injuries from the attack have been reported so far. Authorities are continuing efforts to contain the outbreak while working to rebuild trust with affected communities.








